Wednesday 12 December 2012

And so it begins...

Guess I should start with a little bit about me, my name is Jonathan and I'm a third year Surveying student, lots of report writing and travel but it should be worth it in the end. When I'm not studying I can be found playing the awesome science-fiction game EVE online, I'm a relative newcomer to the game joining a few friends in mining corporation with the occasional high jinks that comes when people get bored of shooting asteroids, I'll elaborate on this at some point in the future honest. Other than EVE I can occasionally be found playing League of Legends, albeit not very well, but with both of these games the multi-player aspect with friends, new and old, is what keeps me coming back for more.

For the most part this blog will be about my experiences within EVE online, one of the things I've been looking to do is engage with the community beyond my friends who play, they're a nice bunch but they aren't always on when I am, and learn about the many facets of the game which I'm certain I've only scratched the surface of. So what have I been up to, well at the moment my character Mia Sedgwick is a member of EVE University (E-Uni), an excellent place for new players to learn the ropes.


My hope is that with the help of the amazing pilots of E-Uni, known as Unistas, I can learn about the finer points of gang/fleet combat and in general be a good pilot, sounds simple but after my first few days in E-Uni I was left with a feeling that if only I were to get a few more skills trained that I'd be a worthwhile addition to the fleet, suffice to say that my view quickly changed to be a little further forward looking and in EVE that doesn't mean days or weeks but months and I encourage any new player that reads this to try out a skill planning tool such as EVEMon or for those with iPhone's/iPads the Neocom app, which is very good and free, as they're excellent ways to give you an understadning of the basics needed to fly and fit your ship effectively. As I write this initial blog entry my aim is to be able to fly Tech 2 Interceptors and Assault Frigates which in of itself doesn't sound too tricky, however as I have already learned being able to fly a ship and being able to use it effectively are two very different things, all in I expect it to take me around two months to fly them anywhere near properly so in the mean time I'll be learning the skills needed by using their respective Tech 1 versions, the Atron and Incursus, where I've already had some successes and some rather disappointing losses as part of the university's Tuesday night 'Noobs on Patrol', where pilots of all skill levels take part in a roam into low and sometimes null sec space to help new players get a feel for fleet operations but also PvP combat.

When I was mining away in a Retriever, with what is now my alt, in a safe high sec system I had no idea of the sheer excitement that fleet based combat could bring, I really enjoy being in the heat of battle and as shown by my killboard entry one of my first ever engagements brought me into contact with a carrier vessel, I had little idea of what was actually going on and just focused on my little task but when the dust settled I was thrilled to have made it back ship intact and getting over any concerns I had about getting killed/podded as soon as we got out there, granted I've lost ships but with every fleet I join I can safely say I've learned something new and would like to think I'm already a better pilot (marginally perhaps) than I was three weeks ago when I joined, I guess only time will tell.




No comments:

Post a Comment